10 Consulting Firm Hacks Only the Pros Know – Lumos marketing
There are a lot of hacks that only consultants know. Some are quick and easy, while others take some time to implement but can have a profound effect on your business. Hopefully some of these helpful hints will be useful for you and your team! Lumos Marketing is a direct marketing & consulting firm.
1) Set an alarm for 45 minutes before the end of the work day, reminding you to check email before you leave. This forces you to wrap up any unfinished tasks or projects before the end of the day, and it ensures that if there is something urgent from your boss, it won’t slip through the cracks because you were too distracted packing up at the end of a long week.
2) Prioritize meetings based on time zones. If you’re having a meeting with another company, or company in another time zone, make sure to schedule it during their lunch hour if possible. This way both parties will be able to complete the meeting without getting too distracted by other work they need to do.
3) Try using a different browser when working on your computer. Many times it is hard to get into that creative flow when you are using a web browser you are familiar with and used to seeing on a daily basis. A great way to avoid this is by installing Opera, Chrome or Firefox on your computer and trying one of them out whenever you feel like working in the office.
4) Networking is a great way to build relationships with contacts in your industry, but don’t overdo it! 30 minutes of networking isn’t enough time for you to actually build a well-rounded connection with someone. Go an extra step and turn into an expert (using the hack above if necessary) because no one wants to be known as someone who can’t keep up with their boss.
5) Write down three things that you are grateful for every day. Keeping a gratitude journal helps with seeing the good in most things and can really bolster your mood when you wake up each morning.
6) When looking for a new job, try using LinkedIn as a resource. A good way to be seen as someone who is desirable is to become an expert in your field. If you are currently working in another industry consulting with companies, reach out to them and ask how they found their employees. Think of connecting with and inviting them to events like conferences, workshops, etc., because these are opportunities that both of you can benefit from. Another great way to leverage your network is by networking on Twitter or Facebook every chance you get.
7) Speaking into the universe comes with its own set of dos and don’ts when it comes to managing clients. People will often take advantage of you by asking questions that you don’t feel comfortable answering and then trying to build their own reputation off the back of yours.
8) If you are looking to hire someone, be sure they are aware that the job is temporary. There should be a mutual understanding on both sides that this job is just for a short period of time. This can allow companies to plan for the future and it will eliminate any issues or misunderstandings about how long this position should last.
9) Another great way to be seen as an authority in your field is by attending industry events in your city. Instead of networking at conferences, try networking at local seminars and workshops that cover topics relating to your area of expertise.
10) If you decide to attend a lecture or a seminar, don’t wait for the end to ask your questions. If there is someone who is an expert in your industry, ask them questions while they’re doing their presentation. This will ensure that you get the information you need and they will be able to help answer any of your questions.
There you have it, 10 hacks that only consultants know! While these hacks may not seem like a big deal or take much time to implement and execute, they can drastically improve your business and help you keep up with your clients.