Table of Contents
Dragon Ball is a popular Japanese anime series that has captivated audiences around the world with its thrilling storyline, memorable characters, and epic battles. With multiple spin-offs, movies, and TV shows, it can be challenging for newcomers to know where to start and how to watch the series in the correct order. In this article, we will provide a comprehensive guide on how to watch Dragon Ball in order, ensuring that you don’t miss any important details or character developments along the way.
The Dragon Ball Universe: An Overview
Before diving into the recommended viewing order, let’s take a brief look at the Dragon Ball universe. Created by Akira Toriyama, Dragon Ball is a manga series that was later adapted into an anime. The story follows the adventures of Goku, a Saiyan warrior, as he trains, fights powerful enemies, and protects the Earth from various threats.
The Dragon Ball series is divided into several parts, each with its own unique storyline and set of characters. These parts include:
- Dragon Ball: The original series that introduces Goku as a child and follows his journey to adulthood.
- Dragon Ball Z: The sequel to Dragon Ball, where Goku has grown up and faces even more powerful enemies.
- Dragon Ball GT: A non-canon continuation of Dragon Ball Z that takes place after the events of the original series.
- Dragon Ball Super: The official sequel to Dragon Ball Z, which introduces new characters and story arcs.
Recommended Viewing Order
To fully appreciate the Dragon Ball series and understand the character development and story progression, it is essential to watch the episodes and movies in the correct order. Here is the recommended viewing order:
The first part of the series, Dragon Ball, introduces Goku as a young boy with a monkey tail and follows his adventures as he trains in martial arts and searches for the seven Dragon Balls. The recommended order for watching Dragon Ball is as follows:
- Dragon Ball: Episodes 1-13
- Dragon Ball: Episodes 14-28
- Dragon Ball: Episodes 29-45
- Dragon Ball: Episodes 46-68
- Dragon Ball: Episodes 69-101
- Dragon Ball: Episodes 102-122
- Dragon Ball: Episodes 123-153
Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball Z is the most well-known and beloved part of the series. It continues the story of Goku, now an adult, as he faces powerful enemies and protects the Earth. The recommended order for watching Dragon Ball Z is as follows:
- Dragon Ball Z: Episodes 1-39
- Dragon Ball Z: Episodes 40-74
- Dragon Ball Z: Episodes 75-107
- Dragon Ball Z: Episodes 108-139
- Dragon Ball Z: Episodes 140-165
- Dragon Ball Z: Episodes 166-194
- Dragon Ball Z: Episodes 195-219
- Dragon Ball Z: Episodes 220-291
Dragon Ball GT
Dragon Ball GT is a non-canon continuation of Dragon Ball Z and takes place after the events of the original series. While it is not considered part of the main storyline, some fans still enjoy watching it. The recommended order for watching Dragon Ball GT is as follows:
- Dragon Ball GT: Episodes 1-16
- Dragon Ball GT: Episodes 17-32
- Dragon Ball GT: Episodes 33-40
- Dragon Ball GT: Episodes 41-64
Dragon Ball Super
Dragon Ball Super is the official sequel to Dragon Ball Z and introduces new characters and story arcs. It takes place after the events of Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT. The recommended order for watching Dragon Ball Super is as follows:
- Dragon Ball Super: Episodes 1-14
- Dragon Ball Super: Episodes 15-27
- Dragon Ball Super: Episodes 28-46
- Dragon Ball Super: Episodes 47-76
- Dragon Ball Super: Episodes 77-131
Watching Dragon Ball Movies
In addition to the TV series, there are also several Dragon Ball movies that expand on the storyline and provide additional adventures for the characters. While not necessary to understand the main plot, these movies can enhance your overall Dragon Ball experience. Here are some of the most notable Dragon Ball movies:
- Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubies: This movie retells the events of the first arc of Dragon Ball with some differences.
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods: The first movie in the Dragon Ball Z series, which takes place after the defeat of Majin Buu.
- Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’: A movie that follows the events of Battle of Gods and introduces the character of Golden Frieza.
- Dragon Ball Super: Broly: The latest Dragon Ball movie, which introduces the powerful Saiyan warrior, Broly.
It is recommended to watch the movies after completing the corresponding TV series to avoid any spoilers or confusion.
Watching Dragon Ball in the correct order is crucial to fully appreciate the series and understand the character development and story progression. By following the recommended viewing order, starting with Dragon Ball and continuing with Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, and Dragon Ball Super, you can immerse yourself in the rich and exciting world of Dragon Ball. Don’t forget to check out the movies for additional adventures and a deeper understanding of the characters. Enjoy your journey through the Dragon Ball universe!
1. Can I start watching Dragon Ball with Dragon Ball Z?
No, it is not recommended to start with Dragon Ball Z. Dragon Ball is the first part of the series and provides important background information and character introductions. Starting with Dragon Ball Z may lead to confusion and a lack of understanding of the overall