When it comes to the process of choosing and buying a residential property, there are dozens of details that can influence the final decision. The way in which the property inspection is carried out determines whether defects will be detected immediately, or whether they will become unpleasant surprises for buyers later on. In order to make the property inspection easier, we would like to share a checklist with you. It takes into account the most vital things to look out for when buying a second hand flat or house.
One of the most significant aspects to consider at first is definitely the location of property. Take into account not only the cost of real estate in different parts of the city, but also the lifestyle you want to live in.
- Transport accessibility. Consider, whether it is easy to get to the city center, how far is your place located from the work, shopping centers and hospitals.
- Environment. Check for the closest parks and squares; the level of air pollution also should play a great role.
- Safety and infrastructure. How far the property lies from the shopping and entertainment centers, supermarkets, cafes, pharmacies and so on.
2. Interior furnishings
Buying a second-hand property has its own special features. Here it is important to inspect the technical condition of the house or flat. One of the most common mistakes made by buyers is not paying enough attention to the little things in the inspection, which could lead to additional costs later on. Start with an internal look, examine the finish of the walls, sealed glazing, serviceability of locks and mechanisms, check if there are any cracks, chips, mildew, in secluded places. Ensure that the sockets and switches are working properly.
Certainly, if you are purchasing a second home, furnishings play a significant role. When buying a house with a swimming pool, it is often the case that the area around the pool may need some renovation or may not be furnished at all. In this case, you can always turn to companies that specialize in the manufacturing of outdoor furniture, which is exactly what Parasol is. The outdoor furniture that the company provides is made of teak and rattan which makes it tolerant to any weather and temperature changes therefore it will serve you for many years ahead.
3. Outdoor environment
- Condition of the roof. The attic can perfectly illustrate the condition in which the roof is actually located, so do not be lazy to climb to the very top of the house.
- Exterior walls. Cracks in the exterior walls of a house may indicate serious defects and further consequences.
- Drains. Fill up a large volume of water, pour it out and see how fast it drains.
- Heating system. It’s best to check the heating system when it’s cold outside. However, even if it’s a warm day, ask for the heating boiler to be turned on and after half an hour check the radiator temperatures in every room of the house.
- Ventilation. Test the vents and make sure they are not clogged.
Among other things you should pay attention to the neighborhood. Living in the best property in an ideal location can become uncomfortable if noisy or dysfunctional neighbors live nearby. Though in case you have the opportunity, try to get acquainted with your potential neighbors and find out information about the area.
5. Documents verification
The list of documents for verification is quite long and may vary depending on the type of housing you consider to purchase. The best solution would be to contact a professional or real estate agent who can help you. Remember to check the authenticity of the property owner’s documents, even if all those concerning the property are in order.
For last, when buying a property try to be rational and don’t trust your first impressions, take time to make a choice. Better to consult with experts and think about the pros and cons once again.